How to make a Halloween ghost out of a cardboard tube
Arts and crafts are always on the list when it comes to toddlers. These cardboard tube ghosts are super easy to make and as an added bonus you will recycle rubbish into a beautiful Halloween decoration! Win win! There are two versions to choose from, one is painted and the other is assembled from a few bits and pieces. Keep reading for all the details on how to make a Halloween ghost out of a cardboard tube.
Halloween is coming and it’s a great time of year for babies and toddlers. There is so much to explore! Halloween provides an opportunity to teach your toddler about big, scary things in an age appropriate way. There is also new language to explore and lots of bright, vibrant colours. So it’s perfect for crafty play! I have the perfect DIY crafty project for you! So let’s get started and make an easy Halloween ghost out of a cardboard tube.
What do I need to make the hanging ghost decoration?
The Halloween ghosts are super easy to make. There are two versions so I have split the materials into two separate lists. One for the painted ghost and the other for the assembled ghost. They are both great fun, so why not make both Halloween ghosts?
Cardboard tubes are the first material on the list! I used toilet roll tubes because I had an older toddler and felt confident that he wouldn’t put them near his mouth. If you are worried about hygiene, just use a cardboard tube from kitchen roll or baking foil packaging instead.
Painted Ghost materials:
- Cardboard Tubes (one per ghost)
- Water based poster paint
- Paint brushes
- Black pen (I used Sharpie – be careful it’s permanent!)
- Googly Eyes (2 per ghost)
How to make the painted Halloween ghost
- Paint your cardboard tube the colour you have chosen and wait for it to dry.
- Once dry, take a black pen and draw on the facial features of your chosen ghost or monster. Stick on googly eyes too!
You don’t just have to make ghosts. Mix it up and have fun! We made a green Frankenstein, a purple witch, a white ghost and an orange pumpkin.
Assembled Halloween Ghost materials:
- Cardboard tube (one per ghost)
- Pipe Cleaners
- Elastic Bands
- Polystyrene craft balls OR extra large pompoms (one per ghost)
- Black pen
- Googly eyes
How to make the hanging Halloween Ghost
- Take a polystyrene craft ball or an extra-large pompom and balance it on top of the cardboard tube.
- Carefully place a clean white tissue over the ball or pompom, and secure it around the top of the tube using an elastic band.
- Draw eyes and a mouth onto the head you just created with a black pen. Stick on googly eyes if you prefer.
- Carefully thread a pipe cleaner through the elastic band and bend the two ends together so they twist into a secure position.
- You can now hang your ghost onto a door handle or curtain rail to spook up your home.
How are you celebrating Halloween?
I hope you enjoy making an easy cardboard tube Halloween decoration with your toddler. Please tag me in your posts @craftytoddlercompany or email me firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know how you get on! Do you have any other Halloween activities planned? Grab my FREE Halloween Activity Bundle below for even more homemade Halloween fun!
If you liked this, you might also like: